Monday, February 26, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: From Osiris to Bone Tools

For my Wikipedia trail, I started out with Osiris, the Egyptian god of the afterlife.  I wanted to start out with this topic because it was a character that I came across in someone's story and it really caught my interest as something that I wanted to look into further.  In this article I found that he was not only known as the god of the afterlife but he was also seen as a merciful judge that granted life by providing vegetation and the flooding of the Nile River.  I decided to click on Nile River as my next link.

In the article about the Nile River, it mostly talked about where it flows and its tributaries, however id did mention that it has been the lifeline of the Egyptian people since the Stone Age.  Curious as to what the Stone Age might have been like for the Egyptians, that was my next link. 

To my surprise, the Stone Age article gave a very wide definition of what it was.   This article simply described it as a prehistoric period where stone was used to implements with an edge. The period lasted about 3.4 million years.  The Stone Age was then followed by the Bronze Age, and the Iron Age.  During the Stone Age the article mentioned that "bone tools" were used and I was curious to what that meant so I clicked to find out.

Well, turns out a bone tool is simply just a tool that is made from bone.  Kind of unexciting.  However, some of the oldest bone tools that have been found are 1.5 million years old and come from African descent. 

Osiris- god of the afterlife.  Web Source. 

No comments:

Post a Comment